Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Burning out

I had to turn the PC off today and stay away from it. I actually did some housework this afternoon and then made a conscious decision to watch TV all evening (Law and Order back-to-back marathon on TNT). I've been obsessing over the store too much, endlessly tweaking the web site (yes, still) and the information sheet and trying to design the newsletter (any graphic-minded people out there willing to help out?), and then I start worrying worrying worrying about money and fundraising and then I get depressed because after the IRS cashes our check for the 1023 fee we'll have $180 in the bank, and then I start wondering why only one (yes, one) of my friends has made a donation, and then I feel obnoxious for continuously blogging about raising funds, but then I realize that there is no way for LOI to function without donations. I still haven't lost faith in the project's worth. Just obsessing over money - $180 to raise $125K...ain't gonna happen. Insha Allah we'll find a way. I'm meeting with Melissa on Sunday and we're going to devise a fundraising plan. I'm going prepared this time.

OK, folks, while Melissa and I are planning and plotting and figuring things out, I'd still be grateful if you could donate $50, or $25, or $20. The minutes on the LOI phone are going to run out soon, I need to get a PO box, hire an accountant, and as we start some more serious fundraising we'll need more money for that. You can make a donation through Paypal on the LOI website at http://www.light-of-islam.org/ (bear in mind you don't need a Paypal account to do so).

Anyways...ironically enough this post was supposed to be about me getting burned out thinking about LOI, and as soon as I start writing about it I start worrying again. I have to find a way to chill out, focus my energy and structure my time. OK, no posts till after Melissa and I meet on Sunday.


*****
Light of Islam is a nonprofit bookstore whose mission is to provide the Houston-area community with accurate and accessible information about Islam and Muslims. Find out more at http://www.light-of-islam.org/.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Update: The IRS has cashed the check, according to my online bank statement.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!

After all my whining and complaining, I have to thank the people who have donated. I promise not to use whining as a fundraising tool anymore...well, unless it turns out to work! Again, thanks!

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?