Sunday, April 01, 2007

Twenty at a time

Phew.

I have to give ENORMOUS thanks to Melissa for all her help with creating the bookstore! May Allah reward her - she's given me so much of her professional expertise and personal advice. I am very lucky to have her on board.

It only took a couple of hours, but I think we got the first part of the fundraising plan down. In a nutshell, we're going to, um, start fundraising. Not as dumb as it sounds...we've (or I've) been struggling to figure out where to start, how much to ask for and from whom. After looking over everything we've got going, it's clear that the best thing to do is to simply start asking. So we brainstormed means of asking and rated them for expense and impact, and then brainstormed lists of people/organizations to ask, sorted into different categories. Melissa suggested that we start with 20 chosen from across the different categories and see how that goes.

So...there's no telling, dear reader, it could be you that will be hearing from me soon! Or if you'd prefer to avoid me, please feel free to go to the web site to join the "Turn on the Light" campaign. Using the Paypal button on the site you can now either donate a specified amount or sign up for a recurring $25 a month donation. You can also contribute by telling your friends about the Light of Islam Bookstore and encouraging them to donate.

Tomorrow I get to go back to my favorite place, Office Depot. My last notepad is down to a few pages and I'm going to get two-sided information/donation sheets printed. And tomorrow I'll start making calls. Hmmm, I wonder which 20 I'll select...

*****
Light of Islam is a nonprofit bookstore whose mission is to provide the Houston-area community with accurate and accessible information about Islam and Muslims. Find out more at http://www.light-of-islam.org/.

No comments: